What You’ll Need:
4 cups Simply Balanced flour
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
6 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 heaping tbsp. active dry yeast
1 cup whole milk
Zest of 2 oranges
6 tbsp. grape seed oil
5 oz. golden raisins
1/4 cup Red Guyaba Paste, cut into thin strips, for garnish
1/4 cup Green Apple Paste, cut into thin strips, for garnish
1/4 cup Yellow Quince Paste, cut into thin strips, for garnish
5 oz. Market Pantry dried figs
1 jar Simply Balanced raspberry fruit spread
12 oz. Market Pantry maraschino cherries, without stems
2 Baby Jesus bake-proof figurines
Sugar Paste Ingredients:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable shortening, softened
1/2 stick unsalted butter
What You’ll Do:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Warm 3 oz. milk in the microwave until lukewarm. Add 2 tbsp. flour, 1 tbsp. sugar and active dry yeast. Mix until combined and let rise for 10 minutes in a warm spot, until doubled in volume.
- Sift remaining flour into an extra large bowl; add salt and orange zest and mix until combined.
- Add softened butter and gently combine. Make a well in the center and add sugar, 6 eggs and yeast mixture. Mix well until incorporated.
- Flour your work surface and turn dough out. Add golden raisins and knead dough until it’s soft and elastic. Sift in extra flour as needed.
- Grease a bowl with two tbsp. grape seed oil, place dough inside and coat dough in oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm spot until doubled in size, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Place dough onto a floured work surface and stretch into a 5-inch by 36-inch rectangle with hands. Spread raspberry spread horizontally along the center of the dough. Starting with the long edge furthest from you, roll the dough toward you to create a long rope. Pinch end together.
- Cut dough in half to create two 18-inch long dough strands for two roscas. Pinch dough ends together of each strand to create two wreath shapes.
- Grease two large cookie pans and the outside of a two 6-inch cake pans. Place the cake pans upside-down in the center of the cookie pans and wrap the wreaths around the pans.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and place back in warm location to rest for 15 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Whisk remaining egg yolk and brush the tops of the roscas.
- Make sugar paste: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and divide into eight equal-sized portions. Flatten and cut into rectangles; place over the roscas at even intervals. Garnish with fruit paste, halved figs and cherries.
- Hide the baby Jesus figurines in the dough of each cake.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until dark golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before attempting to remove to a serving dish.
Planning a Three Kings Day celebration? Head to Target or Target.com to pick up everything you need, from food, to toys and more!
Copyright © 2016 Claudias Cocina LLC. All Rights Reserved.