1 - 1 1/2 pounds of beef milanesa steak or thinly sliced beef round cut steak
4- 6 telera bread rolls, or other flat roll
2 cups bread crumbs
1 tablespoon achiote powder
1 teaspoon salt & pepper
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 avocados, sliced
oil for frying
1) Begin by preheating a large skillet on medium heat with just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. In a shallow bowl or baking dish whisk eggs. In a seperate shallow bowl or baking dish prepare the dry dredge by adding bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and achiote powder and mixing until incorporated.
2) Steaks should be no more than 1/8" thickness. If steaks are too thick, pound with a meat mallet until reduced thickness is acheived, being careful not to break meat. Begin dredging the meat by first placing it through the egg wash and then coating it with bread crumbs generously on both sides. Immediately place into large skillet and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until dark golden brown. Be careful to not cook too long as steak is thin and takes a short time to cook.
3) Remove steaks from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
4) Heat a seperate skillet or comal to toast the telera roll on medium-low heat. Slice the rolls horizontally and spread with mayo generously. Once skillet is ready place each roll half cut side down onto skillet. Mayo will absorb into bread. Check on it often and remove when toasted.
5) Plate by spreading a thin layer of refried beans on the bottom half of the roll. Place Milanesa steak on top and add tomatos, onions and avocados as desired. Enjoy!
TOTAL GROCERY COST: $19.25
Copyright © 2016 Claudias Cocina LLC. All Rights Reserved.