Makes 10 Drumsticks/Thighs
FOR THE MARINADE/BRINE:
- 2 Chipotle Peppers
- 2 oranges, juice
- 1 tablespoon achiote powder
- 1 tablespoon chile california powder or chili
- 2 tablespoons of salt
FOR THE EGG DREDGE:
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo
FOR THE DRY DREDGE:
- 1 lb (800 g) all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- Preheat oil to 350°F (175°C).
TO MARINADE/BRINE THE CHICKEN:
- In a blender place all ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- In a large plastic bag place chicken drums or thighs and smother with marinade. Seal and place in refrigerator for 2-12 hours (overnight).
MAKE THE EGG DREDGE:
- In a medium bowl or dish, whisk the ingredients together until homogenous. Make sure your bowl is large enough to hold your pieces of chicken as you will be using this same receptacle to dredge.
MAKE THE DRY DREDGE:
- In a large shallow bowl or baking dish mix your dry ingredients together until completely mixed through.
DREDGE THE CHICKEN:
- Begin by removing the chicken from the marinade. Removing as much extra marinade as possible by shaking chicken. Do not towel dry.
- Place chicken into dry dredge coating chicken completely. Remove from dry dredge and shake to remove excess flour. Place on a plate or sheet pan.
- Place chicken into egg dredge, coating chicken completely. Place into dry dredge again shaking off any excess flour. Do one piece at a time for this step.
- Ensure that your hot oil is to temp (350F degrees). When you add chicken, oil temp will go down. Make sure it stays between 300-325 degrees. Oil should be softly simmering.
- Using a meat thermometer check chicken thighs and drums until they reach an internal temperature of 165F. Remove Chicken from oil, place on a paper towl lined receptacle and continue frying until a chicken has been fried.
PROVECHO FAMILIA! - Chef Claudia